- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 190g flour, plain/all purpose, sifted
- 2 scoops (70g) Enprocal
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 4 cups (480g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup (22g) cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp (15g) unsalted butter
- 150ml boiling water
- 3 - 4 cups desiccated coconut
- Strawberry jam
- 200mls thickened cream
- 2 scoops (70g) Enprocal (-630kj)
Serving size: 1
Lamington Energy per serve: 2325kj
Protein per serve: 8.5g
Calcium per serve: 136mg
- Preheat oven to 180C (or fan forced 160C).
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Grease a 20 cm x 30 cm cake pan. Line with baking paper, leaving an overhang on all sides (to make it easy to remove).
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium high speed until light and fluffy – about 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition so the batter is smooth, not curdled.
- In a separate small bowl, pour ½ cup milk, and whisk in the 2 scoops of Enprocal slowly, 1 scoop at a time, until no lumps.
- Add half the flour into the butter, sugar, egg batter and gently fold to combine, then stir in half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Stand for 5 minutes then use the overhang baking paper to lift the cake out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
PREPARE CAKE TO COAT
- Cut cake into 15 squares (5 x 3). Freeze for 1 to 1.5 hours. This will make the lamington fingers easier to coat.
- Combine the Icing ingredients in a heat proof bowl and mix until smooth. Should be a syrup consistency, but not watery.
- Place coconut in a shallow bowl or pan with a largish surface area.
- Place a piece of cake in the icing and roll to coat using 2 forks. Transfer it into the coconut and quickly roll to coat all over in coconut. Transfer to tray.
- Repeat with remaining sponges.
- Stand for 1 to 2 hours, or until set.
OPTIONAL: JAM AND CREAM
- Whisk cream and Enprocal together until Enprocal blended in.
- Cut coated lamington in half horizontally. Spread jam and then add a dollop of cream to one half of the lamington. Top with other ½ of lamington. Keep refrigerated if not serving immediately. Without jam and cream, the lamingtons can be kept in an air tight container at room temperature.